Friday, March 28, 2014

GUEST INTERVIEW WITH KIRKS FOLLY COLLECTOR BONNIE HOWARD

We are delighted to have with us this week BONNIE HOWARD, a longtime fan of Kirks Folly and one of our favorite customers. Welcome Bonnie, and thank you so very much for agreeing to this interview. We have a lot we’d like to cover so let’s get started!

  "A girl can never have enough glitter!"
We understand that you collect jewelry and have a large Kirks Folly Collection. When did you start collecting and how did your Kirks Folly collection begin?
I started collecting jewelry when I was 4 years old—I just love anything sparkly and beautiful!  I had started buying all different types of costume jewelry with my Mom at yard sales and antique stores and then fell in love with Kirks Folly because of the beauty and magic of your pieces. About 10 years ago I acquired my first piece—a Fairy pin, of course!  Then kept collecting—another fairy pin, mermaids, seaview moon, cloudwalker—I love it all!

We remember meeting you and your mother, Maureen, at one of our QVC live shows. We thought it was fantastic that you had come so far to attend the show and that you knew so much about our jewelry. What do you recall of that first meeting?
When we heard you were having a live show at QVC I just wanted to go so badly in hopes of meeting you. I love the designs and have them all over my room—for me, it would be a dream come true.  Since I am chronically ill, I didn’t know if I’d be able to make the trip.  Thankfully, my body cooperated with me and we made it all the way to QVC.
 That day was rather surreal, I couldn’t believe I was there actually meeting you in person. I was so happy to meet you and Jenniefer and George.  I was overwhelmed by your kindness and sincerity and what I remember most is that I could feel the goodness radiating from you. You truly are the love behind the magic of Kirks Folly. You all made me feel so welcome—it was one of the best days of my life!

Some of Bonnie's mermaid collection!
It was at your suggestion that we created our handsome merman Riptide. What inspired your idea that we make a merman?
The Canning Jewel
When I was little mermaids always fascinated little me.  Then one day I read a story about a “merman” who saw a beautiful woman walking by the sea and he came up out of the tide, kissed her and wanted her to go live with him in his palace under the sea forever.  That story made such an impression on me.
Another day I was at my Grandmother’s house looking at one of my vintage jewelry books, when I saw a pendant of a merman, called the “Canning Jewel.” This was a spectacular piece, believed to be from India. It was made in the 1800’s, set with one large baroque pearl that made up the merman’s chest, table-cut diamonds, enameled gold and Indian rubies.  I always wished that I could own the original, but luckily Hattie Carnegie, a famous jewelry designer of the 20th century, made a replica of this piece and after many years of searching, I was able to acquire one.   During my search I noticed there were really no other merman pins available.  So I thought it would be great to see an updated version of a handsome merman and just knew you would do an incredible job.

Riptide!
You exceeded my expectations!!  Riptide is so perfect!  He is just what I imagined.  He’s masculine, strong but graceful—a difficult thing to capture in a figural piece.  I love the details from his webbed fingers to his six-pack abs, his aurora borealis green crystal encrusted tail and his enameled fins. I can picture him coming out of the sea, just like in the story that I read.
 It was so much fun experiencing the creative process with you and seeing Riptide developing from sketch to model and then production.  He is truly the Merman of the 21st Century!
You are an extremely creative person with a wonderful imagination. Not only did you draw an amazing map detailing the Realm of Kirks Folly, but you also wrote a compelling, magical story about that realm and our family. You titled it “The Legend of Kirks Folly.” We absolutely adore both the map and the story. Can you tell us how you came to create them?
Partial of the Kirks Folly Fairy Realm Map created by Bonnie
Thank you for the kind words, Helen.  I truly believe that our imagination is a gift from God so I can’t take all the credit!  I’m so glad that you liked the map and story. I thought about the idea of the map as we were driving back home after meeting you.  I wanted to come up with a way to thank you and your family for making my day so special.  I had never created a map before and thought what a great way to capture the Realm of Kirks Folly—a magical, beautiful land with Follydust Mountains, a Pixie Pine Forest and a Glitter Stick Path and that if you wish hard enough— for all of us dreamers—the map can take you there.
 I felt the map needed to have a story to go with it to capture the journey that your entire family has taken to build Kirks Folly. And I thought it would be fun to tell the story of your lives in a “fairytale” style.  When I was well, it would have taken only a few weeks to do, but it took me almost 2 years to complete as I had to work on it a little at a time—sometimes I wasn’t sure if I would ever finish it. I am so glad God gave me the strength to complete it.  It is the last piece of art that I have been able to create.
Well, we love it! It sits in our conference room where we can view it every day. What other objects do you collect?
Besides Kirks Folly, I have collected a variety of other costume jewelry over the years. I’m partial to the watermelon and ravoli stones in the Delizza and Elster designs(also known as Juliana) and have a few Hattie Carnegie pieces.  I love designs by Kenneth Jay Lane, Richelieu, Florenza, and Sarah Coventry.  I also have a collection of jewelry books that I enjoy – one day you must do one for Kirks Folly!
Gizmo, Bonnie's smart little Chihuahua!
Bonnie, share with us something that brightens your day.
I have an adorable fur baby named Gizmo, he is a long-haired Chihuahua, but unlike most Chihuahuas, his ears flop down, to me this makes him extra special and he always looks like a puppy. He is so smart and loveable and he likes to burro down right beside me in the covers – he always brightens my day.
And what is your favorite saying?  
My favorite saying is,One day closer to Jesus” - When you are chronically ill, each day closer is something to look forward to.  Life has thrown me a lot of challenges, but my faith gets me through.

Your story is so inspiring! Thank you again, Bonnie, for sharing your Kirks Folly story with our readers. It’s been a real pleasure to share you and your thoughts, because we think of you every time we see our special one-of-a-kind Fairy Land map. Readers this is one talented lady, click here to read The Legend of Kirks Folly and to see more images from Kirks Folly Fairy Realm map. 
Bonnie, we hope that you'll continue to SPARKLE THE WORLD for a very long time! 







CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNER OF OUR MARCH DRAWING:

ANNIE-AVOICEINTHEWIND




20 comments:

  1. Bonnie, Your collection is amazing. It far supersedes mine. I am in awe of your talent and the way that you display things. I have all of the Silvertone Riptide pieces and I adore the merman pin Helen has included in this blog entry. I am a big mermaid collector and I like all of the things that you like also, even down to Chihuahua's. My neighbor once had two when I was little, Chico and Scotchie. I hope that you will continue to share pictures. You so inspire me so! I just love your philosophy of life. So hearts and cheer to you from another "Bonnie"!

    Bonnie Singer Mundorff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonie I enjoyed reading about your marvelous collection!!! It is all soo beautiful! I love your puppy and I 'm sorry you also are chronically ill ...It is hard for sure but At least we have sparkly kirks Folly to brighten our day and our furbabies ..Sending Fairy dust to you and hugz .XO Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie. I really enjoyed your interview and it was nice to hear from another collector. I enjoyed looking at your photos and it was interesting to know more about the map (which was shown on a show). I am glad that Kirks Folly has sparkled your world and given you some relief from discomfort at times. I relate to you as someone who appreciates the enchantment of the line and how it actually inspires one to be creative...something unique and really special.

    Pam Mckinley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie thanks for sharing. I love hearing from other avid collectors! So nice to know there are others who get my obsession! I have been collecting for 20 years since I was channel surfing one day and happened upon a QVC show with jewelry I had dreamed about, but had never been able to find! Jewelry that reflected my love of fairy, fantasy and whimsy. I have met some really great ladies because of Kirks Folly over the years. I have lost count of how large my collection is but have no plans of stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie......I have heard you mentioned before by Jen and Helen and thought you were Bonnie M. but she always assured me that they weren't talking about her. But, you 2 both love mermaids and silvertone! Anyway, it's great to finally be able to 'MEET' the other Bonnie. That map is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hearing from another Kirks Folly Fan. Their mermaids and men are fabulous. Plus isn't it wonderful to have the jewelry you wear bring a smile to so many people. I find that happens whenever I wear my Kirks Folly. Jennifer Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Bonnie, for your wonderful contributions in response to the inspiration you got from Kirks Folly!! We wish and pray for your peace and happiness. We're all under the same Seaview Moon! Take care and know you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie is such a inspirational lady. I love the map of Kirk's Folly. What a wonderful story! So Bonnie is the fabulous Kirk's Folly collector who suggested Riptide...I own the bracelet in both gold and silver and every piece with Riptide featured except the goblet which I hope to inquire one day. I have the pins, enhancers, bracelets, and necklaces in both finishes. I had to acquire as many Riptide pieces as he is so unique and such a rare looking piece. Bonnie I am grateful to you for suggesting him and I am so grateful to Helen for bringing him to life. I live vicariously through you Bonnie in your blissful adventure to that QVC live show to meet the Kirk's Folly family. One day I too will be able to meet the Kirk's in person. Thank you for your inspiring interview Bonnie and for suggesting Riptide. I was just showing him off at my Uncle's 80th birthday and a lady who was in her 70s came up to me and blurted out... Now that is some sensational bling! I of course told her about Kirk's Folly. I really enjoyed your interview Bonnie. May you be filled with peace, strength, and healing. Much love to you. Lanie Alexandria Costeas. P.SI love your sweet doggy! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. asmgmt99@aol.com Andrea Davis .. Have loved Kirks Folly for years !! Have many pieces that have brought joy to my life and others .. :-) Love this awesome blog ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story. I love Kirks Folly jewelry. I wish I found out about it sooner. I have many many pieces and get many compliments when wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... What a great story. I love Kirks Folly jewelry. I wish I found out about it sooner. I have many many pieces and get many compliments when wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie: Great Collection! The seaview moons necklace is so pretty! Thank you for sharing your story with the photos. Gizmo is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your story. I can remember the first time I saw Kirks Folly on QVC. I was hooked. Gizmo is handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful collection I love Kirks Folly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a Riptide Bonnie so I'm glad you made the great suggestion! I remember the Kirks showing the map on one of their live shows and it is just stunning! I remember being introduced to Kirks Folly when I was a little girl. My mother and I watched the first show they ever had on QVC and I was instantly hooked. Now I'm 30, and we still watch every one together! I'm still mad at QVC and am going through Jennifer's suggestions to get Kirks back on their show. I love Kirks Folly and my house is about to burst with my collection! Much love to Bonnie and all of you wonderful fairies. There is a solidarity of magical people out there with one mission--"Sparkle the World!!" xoxo, April

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, I am so impressed with your map and the story that goes with it.. I could see this actually being made into a series of books...about all of the adventures of this wonderful land of the Kirks. You are very talented!!! Love my fairytales!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful interview! I would love to see your collection of books about jewelry, and also hope that Helen writes her own. One of my favorite possession is the book, "Read My Pins" written and autographed by former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright. She reveals that she used jewelry as a diplomatic tool during when meeting with foreign leaders while she served in the Clinton administration. (from NPR interview):
    "This all started when I was ambassador at the U.N. and Saddam Hussein called me a serpent," she tells Susan Stamberg. "I had this wonderful antique snake pin. So when we were dealing with Iraq, I wore the snake pin." After that incident, Albright decided that it might be fun to speak through her pins. She went out and bought different costume jewelry. ..
    I will be doing a presentation to my Daughters of the American Revolution group about her book and her jewelry. (Maybe Helen should take a look at Madeleine Albright's book for ideas) My sister and I have huge collections of Kirks Folly! It makes us so happy and we get so many complements from people about our jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, your collection is so beautifully displayed. sigh
    but I especially admire your work on The Legend of Kirk's Folly....much love and attention to detail, as well as creativity and hard work went into that, thank you for sharing it with us.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete